Welcome to Andrea Regina Biedermann's Research Page
I have been fascinated by minerals and rocks for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl, I smuggled tons of them into my dad’s backpack during family hikes. A few years later, and after having studied geophysics, I am now privileged to work with minerals or rocks on a daily basis – be it during field work or in the lab.
My research uses a variety of magnetic and other methods to better understand geologic processes on our planet. A large part of my work deals with the characterization of mineral or material magnetic properties (e.g. ability to carry magnetization, anisotropy), mineral identification, and using magnetic proxies as efficient tools to describe e.g. mineral fabrics, or environmental conditions. I passionately teach geophysics, rock and paleomagnetism.
Interested? Want to collaborate?
Join me and discover more on these pages. Or send a message to: andrea (dot) regina (dot) biedermann (at) gmail (dot) com
Congratulations Yi Zhou on the publication of his first paper! Worth reading for all those who are interested in pore fabric characterization >>
Presentations at the 17th Castle Meeting - New Trends on Paleo, Rock and Environmental Magnetism 2022:
- Biedermann, A.R.: Magnetic anisotropy - methods and models. Part of the pre-meeting short course: Almqvist, B.S.G., Appel, E., Biedermann, A.R., Chadima, M., Franciskovic-Bilinski, S., Hrouda, F., Magiera, T., Petrovsky, E.: Use of magnetic susceptibility in Earth Sciences
- Biedermann, A.R., Zhou, Y., Pugnetti, M., Foubert, A.: Numerical and experimental study on magnetic pore fabrics
- Prieto Casallas, M.A., Zhou, Y., Hartmeier, P., Biedermann, A.R.: Interactions between ferrofluid and rock, and their influence on impregnation behaviour and interpretation of magnetic pore fabrics
- Robustelli Test, C., Biedermann, A.R., Zanella, E., Festa, A.: Unveiling the influence of lithological heterogeneities on the magnetic fabric record of faulting processes: Insights into para- and ferromagnetic fabrics in meathrust shear zones
- Scheidt, S., Biedermann, A.R., Deplazes, G.: Palaeomagnetic dating of the 'Deckenschotter' in northern Switzerland and southern Germany
- Zhou, Y., Foubert, A., Lanari, P., Biedermann, A.R.: Comparing magnetic pore fabrics, X-ray tomography-derived pore fabrics and permeability anisotropy tensors in homogeneous uniaxially symmetric synthetic samples and heterogeneous sedimentary rocks
Our study on the time-variation of ferrofluid magnetic properties and implications for magnetic pore fabric studies and other applications is published >> Thank you Josep!
Glad to announce that Michele Pugnetti's paper on 'Ferrofluid impregnation efficiency and its spatial variability in natural and synthetic porous media: Implications for magnetic pore fabric studies' is published in Transport in Porous Media >>
IRM Quarterly article on reporting and visualization of magnetic anisotropy data >> Thank you Dario!
Presentations and short courses at the EGU 2022 General Assembly
- Biedermann, A.R., Di Chiara, A., Nett, J.J., Campuzano, S.A.: Scared of giving presentations? Short course
- Di Chiara, A., Biedermann, A.R., Steffen, R., Kiefer, S.: Mind your Head: mental health and the academic working environment. Short course
- Biedermann, A.R., Pugnetti, M., Zhou, Y., Parés, J.M.: Characterizing ferrofluid properties for a more reliable and quantitative interpretation of magnetic pore fabric studies
- Zhou, Y., Pugnetti, M., Foubert, A., Lanari, P., Neururer, C., Biedermann, A.R.: Correlation of magnetic pore fabrics with traditional pore fabric characterization and permeability anisotropy in sedimentary rocks and hot isostatically pressed samples.
Presentations at the 2021 AGU Fall Meeting:
- Biedermann, A.R., Parés, J.M.: Variation of ferrofluid properties and magnetic pore fabrics over time
- Hamelin, C., Biedermann, A.R., Teyssier, C., Whitney, D.L.: Contributors to complex magnetic fabrics: A tool to investigate the deformation history of metamorphosed amphibole-bearing rocks
- Pugnetti, M., Zhou, Y., Mäder, U., Biedermann, A.R.: Improved ferrofluid impregnation methods for magnetic pore fabric studies: Tests on natural and hot isostatic pressed porous rock samples
- Zamanialavijeh, N., Ferré, E.C., Biedermann, A.R., Biek, R.F.: High-velocity viscous deformation of frictional melts:insights from landslide pseudotachylytes
- Zhou, Y., Pugnetti, M., Foubert, A., Lanari, P., Neururer, C., Biedermann, A.R.: Quantitative comparison of magnetic pore fabrics with pore fabrics derived from high-resolution X-ray computed tomography and with permeability anisotropy in sedimentary rocks and hot isostatically pressed samples
IRM Quarterly article on common miscoceptions in magnetic fabric interpretations >> Thank you Dario for the collaboration!
New paper on modelling shape and distribution anisotropy >> The code is open-source and freely available here >>
Presentations at the 2020 online AGU Fall Meeting:
- Biedermann, A.R., Pugnetti, M., Zhou, Y.: Towards a quantitative interpretation of magnetic pore fabrics
- Pugnetti, M., Zhou, Y., Biedermann, A.R.: Testing ferrofluid impregnation efficiency in artificial samples and transparent polymers with magnetic and optical methods: Implications for magnetic pore fabric studies
- Zhou, Y., Pugnetti, M., Foubert, A., Neururer, C., Biedermann, A.R.: Quantitative comparison of magnetic pore fabric and pore fabric characterization based on high-resolution X-ray computed tomography in synthetic samples and sedimentary rocks
Invited review on 'Current challenges and future developments in magnetic fabric research' is published in Tectonophysics >>