Welcome to Andrea Regina Biedermann's Research Page
I have been fascinated by minerals and rocks for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl, I smuggled tons of them into my dad’s backpack during family hikes. A few years later, and after having studied geophysics, I am now privileged to work with minerals or rocks on a daily basis – be it during field work or in the lab. My research focuses on
- How magnetic anisotropy in single crystals is related to crystal structure and chemical composition
- The relationship between mineral and magnetic fabrics in rocks
- The effects anisotropy has on the direction and intensity of remanent magnetization, or the shape and amplitude of magnetic anomalies
This knowledge can be used to interpret magnetic anisotropy in terms of geologic processes or rock texture, and for a more reliable interpretation of paleomagnetic directions and magnetic anomalies.
Interested? Want to collaborate?
Join me and discover more on these pages. Or send a message to: andrea (dot) regina (dot) biedermann (at) gmail (dot) com
Looking forward to working at the University of Bern, Switzerland, starting November 2018 - so excited about this new project!
Presentations at the EGU 2018 General Assembly, Vienna, Austria:
- Biedermann, A.R., Hirt, A.M. (Invited): Magnetic anisotropy of single crystals.
- Biedermann, A.R., Jackson, M., Bilardello, D., Feinberg, J.M.: Coercivity-dependence of remanence anisotropy: Implications for anisotropy corrections in paleodirectional and paleointensity studies.
- Biedermann, A.R., Teyssier, C., Ferré, E.C., Chatzaras, V., Kaczmarek, M.-A.: Variations in magnetic anisotropy related to strain and serpentinization gradients in two shear zones from the New Caledonia ophiolite.
Presentations at the AGU 2017 Fall Meeting, New Orleans, USA:
- Biedermann, A.R., Bilardello, D., Jackson, M., Feinberg, J.M.: Anisotropy of anhysteretic remanent magnetization (AARM) and its dependence on experimental parameters – implications for fabric interpretation and paleomagnetic corrections.
- Karageozian, M., Brownlee, S.J., Biedermann, A.R. Feinberg, J.M.: Comparing anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility (AMS) tensors with deformation fabric and elastic tensors in the Chester gneiss dome, southeast Vermont.
- Khakhalova, E., Moskowitz, B.M., Biedermann, A.R., Solheid, P.: Magnetic microstructures in small octahedral particles of Ti-rich titanomagnetite.
Nov 2017: Our new paper is online: Biedermann, A.R., Kunze, K., and Hirt, A.M. (2018), Interpreting magnetic fabrics in amphibole-bearing rocks, Tectonophysics, DOI:10.1016/j.tecto.2017.11.033
Oct 2017: Our new paper is online: Biedermann, A.R., and McEnroe, S.A. (2017), Effects of magnetic anisotropy on total magnetic field anomalies, Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth, DOI:10.1002/2017JB014647
Presentation at the GSA Annual Meeting, Seattle, USA, Oct 24th: Biedermann, A.R., Bilardello, D., Jackson, M., Feinberg, J.M.: Isolating components of complex magnetic fabrics to enhance the anisotropy correction of paleomagnetic directions and intensities
Aug 2017: Our new paper is online: Biedermann, A.R., Jackson, M., Bilardello, D., Feinberg, J.M., Brown, M.C., and McEnroe, S.A. (2017), Influence of static alternating field demagnetization on anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility: Experiments and implications, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, DOI:10.1002/2017GC007073
Presentation at the International Conference on Rock Magnetism in Utrecht, Netherlands, Jul 14th: Biedermann, A.R., Jackson, M., Bilardello, D., Feinberg, J.M., Brown, M.C., & McEnroe, S.A.: Influence of alternating field demagnetization on susceptibility and anisotropy of susceptibility
Seminar: 'Variation of AMS parameters during alternating field demagnetization' on Jun 21st at the Institute for Rock Magnetism, University of Minnesota, USA
Presentations at the EGU 2017 General Assembly:
- A.R. Biedermann, D. Bilardello, M. Jackson, P. Solheid & J.M. Feinberg: 'Variation of magnetic anisotropy with coercivity in rocks with multiple remanence carriers, as shown by anisotropy of remanence experiments' on Apr 27th, EMRP3.3 session
- A.R. Biedermann, A.M. Hirt & K. Kunze: 'Magnetic fabrics in amphibolites' on Apr 27th, EMRP3.3 session
Mar 2017: Find my article in the new IRM Quarterly: Towards a holistic understanding of complex magnetic fabrics
Seminar: 'Magnetic anisotropy - measurement techniques, models, and geologic applications' on Feb 27th, Hard Rock Lunch Seminar, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota, USA
Seminar: 'Magnetic anisotropy - from single crystals to total field anomalies ' on Feb 1st at the Institute for Rock Magnetism, University of Minnesota, USA
Jan 2017: Out now: Biedermann, A.R., Jackson, M., Bilardello, D., and McEnroe, S.A.: Effect of magnetic anisotropy on the natural remanent magnetization in the MCU IVe' layer of the Bjerkreim Sokndal Layered Intrusion, Rogaland, Southern Norway. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth